Login – User Forums Survival Planning What would you do if you got stabbed? Reply To: What would you do if you got stabbed?

2 Replies

Survival Planning

First, I’d reach out for immediate help from bystanders along with a 911 call. I have “blow out” medical IFAC kits in my vehicle with ingrained hemostatic agent (gauze and sponge type), additional Z-fold compression gauze for wound packing, pressure bandages ( 1 on person – 1 in kit) Israeli and Oleas – only 1 in kit – types), along with 2 ea. windlass style tourniquets (TQs) – (1 on my person and 1 in kit), along with a SWAT-T (elastic stretch, wrap, tuck bandage) in kit. I include combat casualty blanket (bit heavier than a standard Mylar space blanket) for hypothermia control. Direct pressure, wound elevation (if possible) and treatment for shock/hypothermia until professional responders arrive would be the order of the day. Personally, I was really disappointed learning that in late 2021, Recon Medical lost their court case (and were driven out of business?) supposedly after admitting that they had no quality control over their tourniquets being made in China. Do not trust Amazon sources for tourniquets – there are too many knock offs floating around – many falsely advertising NAR origin. Go direct to North American Rescue (NAR) to confirm your source, (last I called the company, they told me not to trust anyone not directly at NAR because they’d experienced even “recognized” distributors unwittingly releasing fakes). Remember to never mix your training TQs with your carry TQs and that all the TQs have a recommended shelf (duty) life. I also include an LED head lamp in each blow out kit along with 2 sets of light-colored Nitrile gloves so that any blood from concealed entry/exit wounds would be visible after doing a head to toe damage assessment. Final item is a good set of trauma shears to cut clothing out of the way. Remember the Mnemonic M.A.R.C.H. (Massive Hemorrhage, Airway, Respiration, Circulation, Hypothermia) in treatment priority – having Tactical Combat Casualty Care skills as your own first-responder can save precious minutes and lives (your own as in this hypothetical). Revisiting this topic is forcing me to replace my Recon Medical TQs with NAR originals, but it reinforces the point that you’ve got to constantly monitor and upgrade both your knowledge and your equipment to be as prepared as you possibly can be at all times.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by  David.

QUICK ACCESS

CALENDAR

COMMUNITY

SUPPORT

LOOT LOCKER

CHEATSHEETS

RESOURCES & TOOLS

DISCOUNTS